01-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
Until the level of driver training increases for new and existing motorists the current problems will persist, despite the increased threat of more severe fines.

IMO it's too easy for people to get a licence. Problem is legislating that people spend more time and money to get a licence is so unpopular it'll never be brought in I believe.

Policing "speed" is easier and simpler for the population at large to swallow, it's just unfortunate it wont deliver the desired result. Forgoing this revenue may be hard for Treasury to swallow too... don't worry about the lives saved though.

/end rant
This is an excellent point. I am aware that Queensland has recently increased its standards to basically the same as NSW for obtaining a drivers licence but still the driver standard is far too low. There are some people who have a licence to drive on our roads that probably aren't the safest drivers but the government is partly to blame for allowing a person with such minimal driving abilities and driving knowledge to drive on the roads.

I personally think that it should be compulsory for people obtainign a drivers licence to undertake thorough safety driving courses and are more extensive and rigourous test. Driving around for 30 mins with a driving instructor to receive your Provisional Licence seems hardly adequate in my opinion.

Furthermore, I think that 16 as the driving age is far too young. Most 16 year olds haven't even completed school yet and haven't even matured into an adult physically and mentally and they are being given the opportunity to drive on the roads WITH other people. Once they obtain their provisional licence they can be a risk to others on the road. I am not putting down all 16 year olds but there are some out there which probably shouldn't be driving just yet.
Appreciate 0