View Single Post
      01-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
anyone have an idea why my engine light came on, it was 6:30 in the morning and -30. car barely started but once it did the light came on... iam thinking its just because it was so friken cold out.. can i reset myself or off to the dealer i go?
Not sure if you have a 1 series or a 323i as you show in your details. In any case your battery may be getting weak due to age or short drives. You probably have a check engine light due to misfires after a hard start or having shut the car down when the engine wasn't fully warmed up before it was shut down when it was driven the previous time.

If the battery is older than about 4 years, it may be time for a new one. I'm assuming your car is using an approved BMW LL01 synthetic oil of the correct viscosity. In Canada, the only generally available oils that meet these criteria are BMW 5w30, Castrol 0w30 and Mobil 0w40. Using anything thicker than these oils or anything that is not a full synthetic will cause starting and wear issues at low temperatures.

If your engine light came on due to misfires, it will clear after a few days of use and a number of starts.
Appreciate 0