View Single Post
      12-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
pb12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Recaro Speed Install - No More FAIL!

Hello folks --

Today I attempted to install my recently aquired Recaro Speed into our 128i. I have for as long as we have owned the car been miserable in the thing, as I sit far too high. I am not particularly tall, at 5'10", but with the power seats that we have, I just could not get comfortable at all. In fact with a helmet on, I actually hit the roof, with the seat in its lowest position;

Not the best image, but you get the idea. I cant imaging trying to drive like this, I think i'd have my head slamming against the roof!

So I went for a trial run attempt for the instal today. I knew this would not be my final attempt as I am waiting on Macht Schnell to release their updated version of their OC3 occupancy sensor. (long story, hopefull to see it by January).

Anyway, I wanted to find out two things; Firstly, would I actually sit any lower in the car, and secondly, did I in fact have the correct mounts for the car.

Well, the bad first. The mounts I was sold, and assured were correct for my car and seat, were not even close to being correct.

The macht schnell mounts for the e82 attach to the car fine:

There are two ways you can mount the side closest to the door, and I tried both. One with the mounting wholes to the inside, (as seen here) and also with them toward the outside of the car. The mount near the transmission tunnel can only be mounted one way, as there is not enough room to flip it around the other. It made no difference, in either case you ended up with this problem:

The bolt holes don't line up, in fact, it's not even close. Now you will notice, that in fact in this position, the mounting hole isn't even lined up with a close mounting hole, that's actually the end of the mount where there is a space for its' mounting bolt. But, moving the other side back a bit to a different hole, makes no difference, you end up with essentially the same problem. Clearly this mount was not intended for use with the standard Recaro slider, in this particular car. Perhaps the mounting holes in the M3 are wider, who knows.

So at this point, I am waiting on another vendor to provide what they claim is a mount specifically for this car, and this seat, on the Recaro Slider. I have my fingers crossed, and will repost when I get my hands on it.

Anyway, I was able to sit in the seat to get a sense for its height verses the stock seat, and I was thrilled to find I sit a good 2 to 3 inches lower!

I had also been warned that the width of the seat may be a problem, but it looks to fit just fine:

One last pic to show the two seats side by side:

Not a completely fair comparison, because the Recaro will sit on some sort of mount, but it gives you a general sense of the difference.

I also weighed both seats. the stock seat weighs in at 63.4lbs, the Recaro, with mounts, (that didn't work, but what the hell) is about 24lbs lighter at 39.1. Just thought folks would want to know.

Anyway, a bit discouraging. I have not seen anyone else who has attempted the same install, but I can't possible imagine I am the first to try this. I have seen the Pole Position mounted in our cars, but not the Speed. The two seats do indeed mount differently, though they use the same slider, so I am a little confused. If anyone has successfully done so, please post, and let me know what mount you used!

pb12

Last edited by pb12; 02-29-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0