06-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
DeepOvertone
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Hi DeepOvertone,

I looked at your document, but I think its a bit simplistic to think that each modification can be understood in isolation. It really depends on the context for the modification. It depends what suspension modifications have already been done, what the car is being used for, the quality of the roads, and what the user can accept in loss of ride quality.

For example if people are building a track day car, in most cases they wouldn't even care how much harshness comes though the suspension. Also the sequence of mods will make a difference. People may notice and increase in vibration and harshness of M3 front arms in isolation, but if they already using camber plates with spherical bearing mounts, then they probably wouldn't notice any change. The same thing with sway bars, because the sway bar will perform completely differently whether the car has stock suspension or a high rate coil-over setup.
I understand that most of what you are saying is probably true but I think you are also over complicating it. I understand that different combos will act differently but I'm really just interested in what each modification does on its own. For example, if someone had a completely stock car, what would upgrading the front sway bar change? Same goes for each and every modification I listed.... What would they do alone? This would give some nice information for people to then decide what mods to do in respect to what they are trying to accomplish. You said that someone who is building a track day car wouldn't care about NVH... True, but someone who isn't building a track day car WOULD and thats why I'm trying to compile this info.

We can figure out what these mods do when combined at a later date.. Just starting with the basics of info here. Thanks
Appreciate 0