View Single Post
      05-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #13
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ. View Post
I disagree with your assertion that the performance of the 1M is not limited by concerns about encroaching on the M3. Many posts indicate BMW did not go far enough with the power in the 1M but I think they had good reason to do what they did. BMW is trying to walk a fine line by providing enthusiasts a real M option in the 1 series and not really stepping on the toes of those loyal enthusiasts that have bought and will buy the M3. Aftermarket Dinan kits get you another fifty hp so I imagine BMW could have easily bumped it into a whole different level.

I like what they have done with the 1M and have a deposit on one. They have comprehensively updated the chassis, done meaningful drivetrain changes, provided a decent job of creating a specific look on the exterior without going too far in the boy racer look, and have tasteful tweaks inside the cabin. All at a decent price (just try to get similar changes in the aftermarket for anything near the 1M).

I agree that some folks just want an M3 and others just the 1M. I could afford either, I just prefer the smaller and lighter car. That said if I had a M3 I'd be miffed if the 1M had a significant edge on it.
+1
Appreciate 0