07-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #32
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
grinding possibly due to wrong diff fluid replacement.

Our 1M diffs will grind at low speed full lock turns IF the diff fluid replacement does not have friction modifier

Apparently, FM prevents this. But not required

I'm on my phone and can't provide link (and I'm using new 3.0)!!

Search PyratOne, differential for a post I started over a year ago

Bottom line, no worries
Pyrat! I doubt that BMW Chile has the diff fluid with the friction modifier, they probably still use the old/regular one without FM. I asked this when I had the first service at the same place (that, which one they used) and the SA replied "the one without, we don't have the other fluid". Do I trust this answer? No, not necessarily, but as you know once you put the FM fluid you NEED TO continue putting it and not the regular one anymore. So, he better make sure that he can provide FM fluid before changing to that or just ignores the grinding, even the driver's manual says it is just normal.

I never had the grinding by the way but maybe I will later.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0