View Single Post
      04-18-2018, 12:51 AM   #161
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmithvmi View Post
Let's talk about this for a second. I've noticed it lately on my car as well, running -2.8* up front. Even with an M3 rack, the amount of steering input I need while daily driving is conspicuous. The car seems to handle fine on track.

So, what do I want to do here? Everyone always talks about getting -3* up front, wouldn't that just exacerbate the issue?

Berns, what's your take?
Read through the links and data. Sure, bump steer is a factor. But running less overall camber to work the wheel less, at the expensive of grip, makes no sense to me. My steering feels perfectly fine and predictable to me. The car goes where I want it until the front end looses grip and starts to push. More camber will help that.

Run less static camber? Softer front springs? Why would I want to do that? Static camber is the starting point, and for a short wheelbase car that loves to understeer at the limit, both low speed and high speed corner exit, more negative camber will be hugely welcomed.

I'm currently stuck at -2.8* static, with Vorshlag camber plates and M3 front lower control arms. I finally have the car set up to being pretty neutral, responsive and controllable, so I'm confident that -3.5* will really send this setup home. The whole crazy soft spring rates everyone runs on these cars seem to make less and less sense to me as time goes on. It is a heavy, heavy car. I want to go stiffer still. Swapping the 6k fronts for 8k's got the rear end in-check, stopped the front from bottoming out, and improved front-end grip all around.

The 8k/12k split feels awesome, and I'd like to go up from here but keep the split. Might have my KWs revalved and go for 10k/14k.

About the camber -- I'm working with SPL Parts at the moment to test out their front lower control arms and make sure there's enough adjustment to go from -2.8 to -3.75/-4. Updates this week or next. I will say, though, these arms are BEAUTIFUL. More soon.

Last edited by berns; 04-18-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 1