View Single Post
      05-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #165
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie217 View Post
Berns, thank you for posting your build, it has been very eye-opening with regards to the front wheel sizing. Coincidentally, I saw you on The Smoking Tire podcast and freaked out when you were talking about your wide tires upfront, and didn't realize you were the author of this thread until I saw the Hoonigan video you posted.
Thanks for the good words, dude! Happy to help out the community.

Guess it's time for an update?

I just got back from another annoying day at Buttonwillow, but with 95* temps and worn down, and WAY inferior Falken RT615k+ (compared to the Nexen Sur4G I ran at first), I once again did not beat my record. Next up for rubber will be the BFG Rival S, which is supposed to be on-par with the RE71R, so hopefully those and some cooler weather, and I'll be where I want to.

Best of the day for me was a 2:00.7, and I got slower as the day got hotter and my tires got far worse. I was the fastest of my crew of 6 or so E46 M3's, so there's that!

My biggest success of the day, though, was finally being able to run full sessions at 100%, with no limp mode from high oil temps! Last week, I finally pulled the stock oil cooler and thermostat out, and assembled my custom twin oil cooler setup. I didn't want to spend $1600+ on the ER kit, so I ordered two Setrab cores, some Vibrant braided line, AN fittings and the Motiv thermostat delete plate, and went for it.

This was an easy day and a half of work for me, from teardown to test fitting, to measuring, cutting, drilling and bending the aluminum brackets. It's not the most beautiful setup, but this is all function, and I'm no fabricator, so you best believe I was super stoked that this actually worked out!

Cruising highway temps are now a balmy 180*, and out in 95* heat, running all out for 15-minutes at a time, oil temps never went above 255*. I'm sure with some ducting and diverting, and bigger bumper openings, I could improve still, but this'll do for now.

Stock 12-row cooler vs the two Setrab 19-rows.

Motiv delete plate with AN barb fittings. Perfect, leak-free fitment.

Making AN lines is not fun at all. Will be happy if I never have to do it, ever again.

Mounted in their new homes, lines run! I cut the center attaching line too long, but really didn't want to do cut the fitting off and start over just to appease my annoyance.

Looks pretty good to me. I'd like to trim my OEM intake snorkel to fit still. One day...

And, they fit perfectly symmetrical behind each bumper inlet.

E36 track bro presented a cool photo op.

I also got tired of being limited to -2.8* front camber, so I reached out to SPL Parts and they said their front lower control arms would do the trick. I now have the ability to run anywhere from -3 to -4.5*, and they're beautiful pieces.

And the thing everyone said wouldn't work on a stock fender non-M e82.
18x9 +37 265/35/18
Knowing now that I can fit a 265 up front on the 9", I wish I kept my square 9" setup to do 265 squared.

Last edited by berns; 05-14-2018 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
1and11858.00
BimmerAg425.00