07-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Painting Caliper and Hub

Got tired of looking at my rusted calipers and hubs, and since BMW thinks that is normal I took action and beatified it myself, as it should have come with the car at the first place. I used red caliper paint from Autozone, comes in a box with brake cleaner and a brush. I did not want to use spray paint as I did not feel like removing the whole brake caliper, bleeding the brake lines and mounting again. This set comes with a can of red ceramic paint. I pained 4 layers it it dries very fast and covers well, at least the2nd, 3rd, and 4th time around it does. First coat it barely covers at all, but lays down a nice base for the remaining coats.

Original look at the rusted setup

Cleaning up the rust with a wire brush mounted to my power drill:

Cleaned everything up with brake cleaner spray, works great:

I removed the spring and pained it black, after working on it with the wire brush:

Next I made a little helper out of a cardboard box, this way I dont have to mask everything off, much quicker and clean:

Finish hub:

Finish caliper, on the left side I actually unmounted the caliper and removed the brake pad, on the right side I decided to leave everything mounted, works just as good, but you do need to be a bit more careful not to paint the pad.

What do you think, I love it and just hope it stays like that for a long time, but I think if you take care of the rust correctly, it should not be a problem. The rust on the caliper and hubs is really just surface rust and very easy to remove.

Let me know if you have any questions, I absolutely love the look on my 128i
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0