View Single Post
      12-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #181
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My son and I put the Curtis hitch and a Curtis relay box for the lights on my 128i convertible Saturday. Took us about 5 hours but mostly it was him working and me talking. I used it to tow my utility trailer to the dump Sunday. The European tow bar seems a bit low but everything went well. I used this DIY and it helped. Car barely noticed the trailer. My trailer is a 4x8 from Harbor Freight that is only rated for 1100 lbs. I usually have a lot less on it. I think the bimmer will be fine. We left the plate off that is under the car that you have to cut for the hitch. You can't see the opening unless you go under the car. Wiring is soldered on - that took a little more time but will not turn into an issue later. My wiring comes out the trunk like is illustrated above. I have not done it this way on other cars but if you go under the bumper cover, your wiring mount would be pretty low and a bit of a hassle to use. With the soft weatherstripping on our trunks, having it come out like this is not bad. I decided I need a 5 inch rise for my utility trailer to sit flat. Tallest european mount seems to be just over 3 inches. So I bought a U. S. style bar, Curtis, and ball. Should arrive tomorrow.

Last edited by JimD; 12-19-2017 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0