View Single Post
      10-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

If I'm reading your situation correctly, the dealer has no incentive to incur any cost of a repair - other than goodwill, and it doesn't sound like that's likely to happen. If you've bought cars from them before, you may be able to negotiate something, or get them to make representation to BMWA on your behalf. It doesn't sound like the service manager has much of a clue, so you'll probably have to go over his head to get anyware. But beyond that, I don't see the dealer doing much to help you. Ultimately, either you, the dealer or BMWA has to fund the work. From the dealers standpoint, the best outcome is you fund it, because he charges you full retail. I'd be staggered if the dealer funds it. And if BMWA fund it, the dealer only gets "warranty rates" for the labour, which is about half what you'd pay. Bottom line is, if the dealer can't get you to pay, he's better off not doing the work at all.

That being the case, you'll have to approach BMWA directly. In my experience (20 years & several cars) with BMWA, it matters a lot who you speak to. Firstly, do you have any record of the conversation, and undertaking you had when you initially raised concerns - even the name of the person you spoke to is helpful. If you do, and it happened when the car was under warranty, they are obliged to resolve it - no questions.

If not, you'll have to find someone who cares enough to want a happy customer. The first thing BMWA will try to do is get you to resolve it with the dealer - the person that answers the phone will try to make this happen. At this point, you tell them it's the dealer that's the problem - you've tried, and haven't made any progress. Thus you want to speak to someone that can help resolve the matter. As the car is out of warranty, there seems little point in speaking with the warranty folks. That leaves you with customer service. I've always found them to be helpful, and I've always been able to get a satisfactory resolution - albeit needing to be politely firm on occasion.

You have nothing to loose by trying. Be polite - be fact based in the discussion - give them as many data-points as you can on how you've been loyal and fair - and position the conversation as you seeking their help in achieveing a solution that both parties are happy with.

Good luck
Appreciate 0