View Single Post
      08-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
samael
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe 6M

Tire/Wheel combos and seasonal changes

So I've followed at least some of the threads and sort of understand some of the choices, but I wanted to clarify some things.

The OEM tires and wheels for the 135i are 245/35R18 rear and 215/40R18 front, with 18x8.5 wheels rear and 18x7.5 front. My vehicle (used) came with 4 tires (Dunlop Winter Sport 3D) of the same size - 225/40R18. I take it this is no problem to mount these size tires on the different sized rims, especially considering that seems to be the setup I already have?

I assume the performance would be better in most non-snowy road conditions with some 245/35's in rear?

Anyway....I'm looking for the standard advice about summer/winter tires. My situation is that yes, I have another vehicle (4WD 4Runner) that can be used as a much better alternative in the worst weather, but I'd still like for the 135i to handle light to modest snow on the roads. I also care about having decent performance on dry roads.

In an ideal world I'd like something that I didn't have to swap twice a year (good all-season?) but I'm not totally opposed to swapping either. I've heard that having an extra set of wheels with the different tires mounted on each is easier than having the same set of rims and swapping just the tires. Is this true? If so is there a good source for not-too-expensive wheels? I like the OEM ones fine, except for their penchant for picking up brake dust very quickly.

Looks like from the installer page on TireRack that mounting and balancing tires would be a bit over $100 twice a year, if keeping the same rims. Hmmm. What would this be for just swapping the wheels with tires already there?

I'm also okay with getting chains to keep in the vehicle for winter for handling some of the worst situations that I'm otherwise trying to avoid. Any advice on these? I think the owner's manual says to use fine-link or something.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0