View Single Post
      10-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #29
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
You need to exercise a degree of caution on a circuit when driving on street tires. Its very easy to overheat them and suddenly find the balance of the car has changed. A powerful and heavy car such as the 135i will hurt its tires when driven on a track. It will get very slippery as street tires are not designed for it. I suggest to look at tires before you go very far with other modifications.

Simply adding a lot of front camber on an otherwise stock 135i will make it more it quite prone to oversteer when the rear tires get a little bit stressed. A few things you can do to add stability are: Proper sport tires, upgraded rear sub-frame bushings, and possibly a firmer front sway bar. I think that for driving on a properly fast circuit understeer is a good setup. On many tracks its possible to get good results by trail-braking to combat the understeer.
I'd never suggest tires as a first upgrade to do....ever.

Tires that offer more grip also let go of that grip alot quicker. They do not communicate as much and when they let go, well you're in for trouble.

It isn't bad at all to run on the tires you have the first couple of times. Get a feel of when you're approaching the limit. They will talk to you when it happens and you build muscle memory off of it.

Also, camber does not solve push on these cars.

Anyways, here is what I'm trying to talk about. These are on Hankook RS3s. You can see you don't hear much when the RS3s let go from the grip...however you can see the steering corrections I'm already making to solve the issue because I know what the car does.

I'm not an expert, but considering I was the fastest street tire car out there and placed 20/170th, I would like to say I do hold some merit.

Appreciate 0