View Single Post
      04-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
bavarianstig
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Calling all TUNED N54 135i MT who track their cars...

I tracked the 135i for the first time last year with BMW CCA at VIR and let me say, I became immediately addicted. I've come a long way as a driver since then, and added some helpful track upgrades like Nitto NT-01 Rcomps, full race exhaust, vorshlag camber plates, Schroth harnesses, and Stoptech brakes with carbotech pads (the brakes are SO much better).

I have, however, stayed away from tunes because of people with STOCK cars getting the dreaded "limp mode". From what I understand, these plague the 335i more than the 135i, and the autos more than the manuals (due to the cooling design of the trans). I'm in the advanced groups and drive the 135 pretty hard every time I go out, often at 9 or 10/10 (full course VIR lap times around 2:17), yet have NEVER come close to limp mode. Highest oil temp I've seen using Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol 5W-30 is 260 or maybe 270.

I am looking to get a Cobb Accessport, but am hesitant bc of the fear the car won't be able to handle it without the additional installation of a second/larger oil cooler, upgraded FMIC etc.

Those who have tunes (mainly JB4 or Cobb), what has your experience been on the track? Limp modes? I also welcome any opinions on which of the tunes is best suited for those using them in road course environments (do some tend to do better job of cooling due to water pump remapping etc?) If you did have cooling issues, what helped to fix it?
Appreciate 0