View Single Post
      07-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameselee View Post
I have just over 9k miles, and my car has asked for oil twice now.

The first was a few months ago, after I just picked up a friend and was getting ready (thankfully) to go for a drive (I'd had a pretty mellow drive up to that point). The second was the other day as I was leaving work.

I've never seen any evidence of leaking. I drive reasonably hard from time to time, but not abusively so. It's mostly having fun when I'm first in light at a stop light, or when my daughter says "go fast, Daddy!" going up the hill on the way to her school.

Fortunately, I bought 2 quarts the first time & left the 2nd in my trunk, but now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just always have a quart with me.

What have your experiences been? At what point should I be concerned?
I've had 2 BMW's, an E46 325i and my current 135i.
Both had their first oil changes around 12K. The NA 325i was about 1 quart low at around 7K, but after the first oil change it was only about 1/2 quart low by the next 12/13K oil change.
My 135i was about 1 quart low by it's first change as well, but now at 18K it's not even at a 1/2 quart.

Generally, from experience and what other NA BMW owners have said, after the 1st change and some miles, the engine "uses" very little oil.
Turbo's in general tend to "use" more oil due to the increased pressures and heat they operate within. It would not be out of the question for a turbo to need a quart between 5-10k miles.
My turbo has done better than that, but if it needed a quart every 10K it wouldn't bother me.

Also, most BMW engines have nearly 50% more oil than most other engines; BMW 7 quarts, others around 5 quarts.
BMW likes to bathe the whirrly bits nicely.
Simply due to the fact that BMW engines have nearly 50% more oil easily allows it to go 50% longer before changes in other engines.

If one likes to change their oil at 5 to 7K for typical 5 quart engines, you can easily go 7500 to 10K miles with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0