04-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #27
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution42 View Post
Clutch-pack LSD's will do this, but the Quaife is a helical (torque-biasing) diff which transfers power as long as there is any amount of grip on the slipping wheel. If one wheel is completely in the air however, it won't be able to transfer any torque to the wheel on the ground.
Sounds a bit useless if this is the case - and from what I've read I know Quaife's aren't useless. I certainly understand clutch type LSDs but I'll have to read up on helical units it appears.

With my open diff there are times when I turn into my steep/sharp driveway & I've got one rear wheel in the air and no traction, even with the e-diff trying to do it's thing. I then have to reverse back and get a run-up. At the track the e-diff thingy has overheated the rear brakes and brought up a dash alarm.

Still looking for a cheapish way to get hold of an LSD for my welded diff type manual 135. Can source from Andrew for ~$4.5k + freight each way + fitting. Can source cheaper from the US but looks like I'd also need a new tailshaft as I'm told the US diff is different from ours. Anybody else with a manual 135 been down this path?