View Single Post
      11-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
IBSC
Rep
Drives:

Ok, one at a time.

Kris:

Should have mentioned that my dribbling was for those people who are keeping thier car for many years and dont have a service plan.
If you are a business user and just flick it after the lease is up, then definatly save your money and just stick to the scheduled servicing.
Whatever goes wrong, BMW are obliged to fix.

If you have a five year lease and three years warranty there are two years in there that could cost you a bomb but you do have the option to purchase a BMW extended warranty (I think).

Andrew - Southern BM:

Again I should have been clearer.
For any cars we service that are still under factory warranty we also use genuine oil filters and Castrol LL01 oil (except diesel with particulate filter that requires LL04).

For cars that are out of warranty we stock genuine and OEM filters and give the customer a choice.
Just an oil service is only a saving of maybe $10.00 but when you change every filter in the car you can save up to $100.00 using OEM.
The reason I prefer Agip Techsint in performance engines is just experience.
It is on the BMW approved oil list and I have put it in customers cars (not only BMW's) that they have taken out on the track and flogged the car to within an inch of its life and it still does not break down.
Just a personal thing.

Please all try and remember that in the Independent BMW service business we tend to have a customer base that is 90% second or third owner and the vehicle is out of warranty.
So the primary objective is to ensure that the vehicle gives the owner trouble free motoring.
I would much rather do an oil change on a customers car every 10,000 klms than have to tell them that their 100,000 klm old engine that has only had four services is clogged up with oil sludge and requires major work to fix.
Some people are ok with breaking news like that to a customer but I am not.
My role as their technician and what they pay me for is to (as much as possible and barring unforseen circumstances) take care of their car so I never have to give them bad news and perform major repairs that could have been avoided.

Anyone who regularly works on BMW, especially the Valvetronic 4 cylinder engines knows exactly what I am talking about.
I have taken the rocker cover off a 51,000 klm old engine that has only had one service at 32,000 klms (as determined by the onboard service indicator)and it looked like someone had tipped a bucket of mud on the cylinder head.
Western Australia, 6163, Australia
Telephone: 0404 628 738
International: +61 404 628 738

service@independentbmwservicecentre.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Current Drives:
1989 BMW ETURDY 318i M40 - Bog Stock Standard
2008 Honda Civic Sport (Missus)
Waiting On:
Lotto win

PLEASE TRY TO REMEMBER, WE DONT MAKE THEM AND WE DONT BREAK THEM, WE JUST FIX THEM :iono:
Appreciate 0