03-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makayez View Post
I think we're confusing personal value with market value.

My kids artwork may be worth $100k to me, but I doubt I'd get enough to buy a taco.

I hope people hang on to their cars, but realistically, what it's worth to you has to match what it's worth to others when you're ready to sell :/
Yes. But how about this: My car costed me slightly over 40K Euro including the transportation and insurance I had to pay; the car itself was like 38,600 Euro. The same car would cost 58,500 Euro in Germany when new, or 135,000Euro in Turkey where I put my order back then. Wild differences! But it would also worth 80,000 USD new at the dealer where I actually live now, in Chile, the same place that my car was delivered directly from factory a year and half ago.

The fact is I am not selling it (yet!) for a 100K offer in Chile which is more than its new price here and double of my cost and moreover I am also not going to sell it in Brazil (my wife is Brazilian, I have access to that market too) later. There are only 6 cars in Brazil available in internet, all used, lowest for 110K USD and highest for 150K USD.

As you see whatever I do wherever I sell it I will make profit, quite a bit or A LOT indeed, like triple in some cases, but I am not selling it which tells something about "market value" of this car in addition to its value for me as you put it.

Like others said before me, as long as I can not replace it with something similar, the world of buyers around me offering double or triple of my actual buying price means little if anything. Like -Z- said it spot on above, one day there will probably be only people like me left in the market and buyers of those cars will also be people like us. M2 won't change this fact, only will seal the deal after hurrying cross-shoppers leave the scene.

I think US buyers who are hoping for big drop in prices of 1Ms are risking it big time. This car was offered for a dirt cheap price in US and that is not well appreciated by most. If they really want to be the long-time owner of a pristine 1M for a "fair" price it is not any later than now the best time to buy it imo.

What I mean in another word is if your kid's artwork worths 100K for you but don't buy a taco now, you should not sell it for a taco or two anyway. You should not sell it for 100K too as long as you feel like that. After all if your kid turns out to be the next Picasso it may worth well over it in the future too
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0