11-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #38
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
If you add these up, I see a net increase if anything, or optimistically at best flat/no gain. If indeed it is marketed to be 3300 then they must have found a way to shed some 73lbs or more. Maybe fenders are light weight material, maybe less sound deadening material inside (unlikely). We shall see, I like the 3300 figure but for now can't figure out how they arrived to it.
As you say we shall see. If they have the budget there are many places they could find that weight that are less obvious.
Lightweight flywheel (also helps with throttle response), lighter seats, higher spec battery (don't need to go lion), exhaust system materials (higher spec materials let you go down in wall thickness- you can save big weight without the expense of Ti or Inconel).
Drive axles can be hollow, driveshaft can be higher spec, suspension subframes can go from steel to alu, windshield glass thickness can be reduced, and on...

Basically every component on the car was designed to a budget, and it can be redesigned to save weight. If you now have a higher budget. So the question is what do they want it to weigh, and what are they willing to spend? Given the rushed development of the car I suspect they didn't know themselves until very recently what the final tradeoffs would look like. I'd be surprised if it's at or less than 3300 myself, but one can hope.