04-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #56
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacSmallFries View Post
Being an owner of an '11 GT3 RS, an E92 M3, and E93 M3 currently, I have to say your write up sounds really biased towards your particular 'taste' of cars.

No offense, but you don't really 'get' this car and who it's designed for. But then again, you drive a 1M so I wouldn't expect you to understand anyways. You sound like one of those guys that spends hours trying to convince others the 1M is just as good as an M3. lol

The steel synchros, titanium 'race' exhaust, 4 wheel drive level of grip in first gear, bucket seats, torque right up to redline, telepathic steering, communicative brakes.... I don't know where to begin. The GT3 RS is on another level of excitement. And no, you're not supposed to drive this car to work.

I should write up my own review that isn't self-serving and post it on here for anyone that's actually serious about a GT3. For anyone reading, please drive a GT3 at least once in your life, you'll never forget it. Lame review, you sound like an advertisement for BMW, and just fulfilling your own ego. You do realize true driving enthusiasts consider this the ultimate driver's car, right? You missed something along the way when you drove these cars.
I re-read my post to try to understand which parts you felt were "self serving" and "like an advertisement for BMW" based on your comments, but I must admit I'm still not exactly sure. Perhaps the most positive thing I said about the 1M is that it "may well be the better everyday tool", but you seem to agree that the GT3 isn't an everyday car? Or that the 1M is even more playful than the GT3 RS at lower speeds?

Perhaps you can point out what issues you took, or as you say write your own review. Despite the fact that I perhaps didn't "gush" over the RS 4.0 enough for your taste, I do love the car and may eventually pick one up, though as I said only for occasional use. Meanwhile I do very much enjoy cars with "mobile" chassis, a personal preference that I try to communicate as honestly as I can.

At the outset I said these cars are very different and hence unfair to compare. That said, many do exactly that. The 1M placed 3rd behind the RS 4.0 and MP4-12C in Evo's 2011 car of the year, ahead of eight other cars in a strong year that included the Aventador, Cayman R, M5, Ferrari FF, etc. Point being I'm not the only one that likes it. I realize there are some that don't feel the same- you're certainly welcome to your opinion, hopefully assuming you've driven one.

As for my bias, I've owned about a dozen Porsches and currently own a couple, while I've only had the pleasure of owning two BMWs, an E46 M3 and the 1M. I mainly compete in Porsches- GT2, Cayman S with 3.8S swap, my '69 Cup, etc. I simply try to be honest. Sorry it didn't find you well for whatever reason.