View Single Post
      05-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #58
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
I see a lot of unrealistic expectations from sellers trying to unload cars with huge mod lists. That's ubiquitous to selling cars, though, not something specific to the 1er crowd. I think it's really hard to sell a car with mods and get much of any of the value of the mods back out. I think you're doing well to get 20% of the value of the mods on top of the car, but many people will not be willing to pay any more than 0%. There are a number of reasons why, such as their ability to get a loan, and the mod list including a fraction of items that might be of interest (eg. I could care less if a car has a $1500 carbon fiber lip).

When the thread started it was discussing 1-2 year old cars. Now 4-5 year old cars are at a price point where someone shopping a WRX, Evo, BRZ, 370Z ,Miata, etc. might think a used 135i with low miles makes a lot of sense. It's really a great platform besides some maintenance issues. Sell it after HPFP work is done and with fresh water pump, coils, plugs, and carbon blast and it should be a great buy. I think depreciation should slow down a bit at the 3-5 year mark as the car's value is in more of a sweet spot for enthusiasts. I do think it has as I check bluebook every once in a while.

Also worth noting the new MSRP on the 1er has gone up quite a bit in the US since introduction. The ~$36k 135i standard is gone, essentially replaced with the M235i starting at $43k. Makes a used one look a lot more attractive as a new one is further out of reach.
well. the new m235i does include the m sport package and the adaptive suspension standard... which was worth roughly 4k. and the overall cost went up by 2k so it still sits in line with the msrp costs... but the dealerships want to get rid of the 1ers cause it doesn't sell that well anymore so they're heavily discounting the new 1ers like 4-8k off of msrp.
Appreciate 0