Thread: 135 vs STi
View Single Post
      03-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #17
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Comments are based on track experience -- not real world road experience because I gave up betting with my license a long time ago.

I chose the 135I because I was looking for a nice daily driver with occasional track use when the 911 is down for weather or convenience. If I was going to get a more dedicated track coupe/sedan to track, I would select whatever the latest version of the Evo there is. I have driven them all on the track with the exception of the latest generation STI and Evo. The Evo has the closest to a throw-away interior and still be tolerable which makes it more perfect for a track car. Take-off the dirty, brake dust coated wheels -- brush them off and toss them into an available opening and there are many of them (openings). Don't do that with the 135 -- meticulously clean them and wrap them up in individual bags and get one in the trunk and carefully put three in the backseat through the ridiculously small space between the seat tilted forward and the door pillar. That is unless you got non-power seats and you don't have to wait five minutes for the seat to move all the way forward.

The reason I said all that is, it depends on where you encounter the car. Most of the Evo's and the STI's I encounter at the track have been modified and use better tires. They definitely hold their own with whatever M3 I have seen. But; they are not encumbered by the skinny runflat front tires that are good for three maybe four laps of a 2-3 mile track. Then there are all kinds of reliable brake pad options. That said my 135I holds its own remarkably well on rft and stock brakes for at least four laps. I have never encountered the dreaded oil temperature problem. That might come up with better tires and some better brake pads. My observation is that the 135 does very well in the 80 to 135 range; but looses when it comes to braking and turning. Good tires and brake pads should solve that problem.

If you start popping turbo mods on the 135 and track your car you are part of a beta test program and I have no idea where your reliability goes; but, you may be a good data point.

If you are looking at drag racing only, then disregard everything I said, I have no point of reference.

Appreciate 0