View Single Post
      03-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #14
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Correcting one of the above posts, The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is not a "3 season tire".

The A/S 3 is an all-season tire, with a compound designed to work in lower temperatures and a tread patter that meets the "M+S" criteria, hence the "A/S" for all-season. The 3 in the name is not indicative of "3 seasons", but instead is meant to express that this is the 3rd generation of the most recent Michelin UHP A/S all season tires following the Sport A/S and Sport A/S Plus.

That being said, they have only mediocre snow traction. This is not a tire for year round use for those in the far north and in Canada. For the majority of the US, it works fine for an all season tire and in a lighter snow area like Maryland, they might get the job done.
From this review:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/01/22/bm...t-sport-as-3/b

Quote:
What cars are well suited to the Pilot Sport A/S 3? From my time behind the wheels of a broad spectrum of cars at NOLA, it seems these all-seasons are best mounted on any car that is likely to encounter a mixture of hot and cold temperatures and dry and wet surfaces. The Michelin folks emphasized that these are considered 3 season tires – they are meant to extend the summer driving season deeper into the fall or winter in areas that get a lot of snow – but once there is deep snow, it’s best to switch to full winter tires.
I 100% agree.

I have a set on my stock rims, in stock sizes, I bought them as my spring/fall intermediate tires. One week after I put them on (full tread depth, scrubbed in), I had to drive in about 1" of snow. Might as well have been on full summers. I turned around, drove back to the shop, and put my winter Hakkas on.

Will be using Pilot Alpin PA4 in near stock sizes next time as my intermediates. Hopefully they can actually move the car if the roads are more than just wet.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 03-11-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0