View Single Post
      09-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #69
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Here's an all-season vs snow tire test Tire Rack did with an E90 325i.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=103

200 foot acceleration on snow took 8 seconds with snow tires and 11 seconds with all-seasons. Braking from 30 mph took 60 feet on snow tires and 90 feet on all-seasons.

How can someone care enough about performance to buy a 135i, and then cripple its performance with all-season tires in a Toronto winter?
We already know that snow tires are better in the snow than all season tires. Nothing new there.
Did you see any testing of snow tires vs all season tires on cold dry surfaces?
What about on cold, wet surfaces with no snow?
I encounter those conditions much more than snow covered roads.
I've asked TireRack to do some actual real world comparison between snow tires and all season tires, that test the majority conditions in the winter. It would be much more relevant for many of us.

The accel test is fine, for those who care about acceleration performance in snow. I don't do performance driving in snow.
If you do, then get a car better suited for that type of performance driving.

Braking data is relevant. But again, anyone who thinks they can drive their car in the same spirited manner on snow covered roads as they do in the summer, are the ones who are truly foolish.

Yes, I do care about performance with my 135i.
If you think that because you can accelerate faster than me, and brake shorter than me in the winter or summer, and that makes your more of a performance enthusiast, well good for you.

If you want to discuss tires and tire tech, cool.
If you want to extrapolate tire choice to who's more of an enthusiast and who cares more about performance, then that's a debate I could care less about.
Appreciate 0