12-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness View Post
Sorry to thread jack but are these cameras specificly for tailgaters? I passed 3 or 4 of these between Ramstein and Trier and I was almost positive they were in the no speed restriction zone so I couldn't figure out why they were there. I never saw them flash on me (it was daylight) but I blew through one of them at about 150 kmh or so. On the way home I saw them flash on a group of cars a few hundred yards ahead of me so IDK maybe I just missed the sign and have a ticket on the way.

To the OP. I hope it all works out and your supervisor/leadership treat you resonably.

Yes! The Polizei usually set up these tail gating cameras only in speed limit free areas of the autobahn. It doesn't mater wha speed you drive... you still need to maintain your distance from the car in front of you. Normally two second rule or "half of your speedo" in meters.

ay you are driving 200 kph, half of that 100, is how many meters you should be behind the car in front of you. 100m of tail gating distance.

The Polizei normally use three or four cameras. Over here in Bayern they use three. Two up on the bridge, and one down bellow on the center divder/medium. This is not a speeding camera (Blitzer) but an Abstand (tail gating) camera system.

The two on top of the bridge give the polize a view of teh total traffic in general. The one down bellow is to prove who was driving your car - it takes a side profile shot and head on pics/video. IF you look closly at the metal railing ontop of the autobahn bridge... you will see spots cut into the railing where the Polizei cameras slide into position. Then they lower a camera down the center over pass bridge pillar to take your picture as you aproach the bridge. Sometimes you can also see the rolls of wires on top of the bridge or the non discript van park at one of the ends of the bridge up top. But that is rare. Normally you will only see the little lipstick camera on the center medium just as you pass under the bridge. At that point its too late.

All three cameras take video and still photos. The autobahn just beofre these bridges where they setup at... have "bar codes" engraved into the shouldlers of the autbahn. Also as you know... the white dashed stripes on all autobahns is 9m between the dash marks. The cameras use all this info to calculate your speed as you approach and you better maintain a safe distance.

Both times I got caught... I was driving around 130 kph, in a no speed limit area. I hould have had at least 65m of abstand... but in one I had 33m and the other one I had only 22m. Well... they were expensive tickets. Both times I was just being impatient and trying to get teh guy infront to "move over". lessen learned.

The Germans also have this law... that IF they catch you for the same type of offense within a two week time period... you are a habitual offender and your punishment is quite serve! So be carefull!

Here is a good website to show you what we are up against over here!

http://bayreuther-blitzer.com/bilder...ahn/index.html

Can you spot the Abstand cameras?

Name:  50960796fc0e59412_480.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  87.4 KB
The cameras are targeting the FAR lanes of traffic going under that big blue Autobahn sign.
Name:  1004821_480.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  1004831_480.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  62.6 KB
the camera down bellow...
Name:  50960796fc0e7091b_480.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  121.4 KB
the van where everything gets watched
Name:  1004828_480.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  81.1 KB

Last edited by Dackelone; 12-08-2011 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0