View Single Post
      10-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

~PSA: Do not put liquids in your trunk~

This is a public service announcement to remind people to not put containers with liquid in the trunk, this includes milk jugs, detailing spray, etc.

Two days ago I had about 25oz of Griots Speed Shine in a sprayer in my trunk in the netted area with some microfiber towels, window cleaner, etc. I discovered the bottle had jostled loose from the area and spilled.

That night TPMS system went inactive with a warning on the dash, the next morning my entire dash went crazy, the cluster kept flashing all the lights, the needles went dead to 0, A/C/Radio/Seat heaters died and flashed on and off.

I was already scheduled for an oil change this morning and had them look at it...TMPS module fried, K-Bus short circuited, they dried the area out and replaced a couple modules and had to re-program the ECU and now its good.

This is not the first time on this forum this has happened and the typical repair cost is $1,200-$3,000. I was lucky and they covered all of it under warranty...could just be b/c my SA is my girlfriends dad.

So please be careful, if you search you'll find 2-3 others on this forum that this has happened to, these modules are not sealed from moisture.