View Single Post
      08-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Please don't put anything except oil in the oil fill for your engine.

If you are running a BMW LL-01 (North America) or LL-04 (Just about everywhere else) oil, then you don't need to add anything to it.

If you change your oil at least as often as the car tells you, then you should not have anything that needs to be flushed out. If you have let your maintenance slip, then the best way to flush out the crud is to do several short oil change intervals.

I once bought a SUV from a guy that told me hardly ever changed the oil (fail #1). So me being young and stupid went out and flushed the engine. (fail #2). When I did that, it cleared away the crud that was keeping the oil in the engine. I now had a "clean" engine that literally had a small stream of oil that would shoot out near the oil pressure sensor. After I fixed that, the engine burned oil unless I ran 20w-50 in it. I was somewhat lucky though -- some times, the crud breaks off and then plugs up your oil pump pickup, then it's game over.

If you ever shake a bottle of the flushes, you'll see that it basically dilutes your oil. Doing this isn't good even for a short period of time if you ask me.