View Single Post
      08-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

No worries, I'm from the US, so I find it strange that the service interval is 15,000 km because it's 15,000 mi over here. Obviously 15km != 15mi. (Frankly speaking I wish BMW would pay for 15km change intervals over here). Maybe it has something to do with the LL-04 oil because I believe (I don't know this for sure, Dackel might though) that LL-04 is a slightly "relaxed" spec because the oil isn't beat up with all the sulpher that North America gets in the fuel.

There was a pretty active thread a while back on oil changes, if you search for it, you will get lots of different opinions, however, mine is to change the oil every 5k miles. My reasoning is that this engine is known to be hard on oil, and where I live, I drive in a hot dusty area with lots of traffic. I do the change at 5k & 10k, then BMW picks up the tab at 15k.

As far as LL01 being good oil, it is for here, but it might be more oil than you need. That's never a bad thing, but you might be able to get away cheaper with a LL04 oil. BMW LL01 spec is a thorn in my side because over here it means you can choose from two oils. I managed to find it on sale once and bought about two or three years worth of oil (seriously).

Off topic, but I love Holden vehicles. I wanted the Ute SST to come over here really bad. Bad thing is many Americans would instantly be remembered of the El Camino that has a bad rap. The closest thing we got was the SSR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_SSR