View Single Post
      07-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Not everyone wants a turbo, that's the last time I will repeat myself.
I'm still not sure what this means. Does this mean those people hate high exhaust gas temperatures? Maybe they hate engineering developments and materials tech that made turbos feasible and extremely drivable for passenger cars. Perhaps they are pacifists, who can't stand the idea of a fighter jet taking off out their tailpipe every time they spool up. Or maybe they hate the Swiss and Alfred Büchi. I do agree that Switzerland has some draconian traffic regulations, but come on, guys, you don't have to drive the car IN Switzerland!

I guess you're saying some people prefer NA engines, well, that would be reasonable other things equal but other things are not equal. Most people who care about NA engines also want their NA engines to have some get-up-and-go. Maybe something like an S65 or S85 would satisfy that criterion, but a N52 does not, unless you're that british guy who broke his checkbook to make an admirably sick 128. You need to know what you're getting into and why you're doing it. Again, the OP here wants power and I fear he's not going to be happy with the extent of a FBO 128i when a stock N55 will be faster and at that point, less expensive. There are quite a few sick NA cars out there: Mercedes, BMW, Chevy, Ford, Ferrari, Porsche, Nissan et al have all made them. The 128i is not a sick NA car without a bunch of work and money. Like I said, modding a 128i for power really only makes sense in 2 situations: if you need that particular car for your class in racing, or if your family bought it and you're stuck with it, but can mod it.
Appreciate 0