Thread: Running Temp
View Single Post
      06-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #7
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

@Stock4Evr what's your mods and what's your tune?

These days cars are built that any idiot can get in them and drive them without needing to warm them up at all. 1 minute of idle in your garage prior to full throttle every morning will not harm your engine if you're regularly servicing, regularly changing the oil, and driving like a regular driver.

I see you live in Texas, so like me, even when your car is 'cold', it's not like 'german cold'.

There are a few things that severely change this equation though. If you're a serious leadfoot, if you have a MHD flash targeting 15+ PSI, if you don't change your oil annually ... then you're outside of the tested specifications and should treat your car a little more carefully (ie. give it 10 minutes of regular driving before hammering it).

Long story short: You'll read stories about Subaru gearboxes and N54 engines being made of glass, because most people writing those stories have almost doubled the stock HP of their engine, and are driving in ways that no 'normal' person ever would. If you're driving your bone stock car 50 meters out of the garage each morning, flooring it to get to 55mph then driving normally; you won't harm your engine.
Appreciate 0