View Single Post
      08-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #62
Relegate
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5 35d

Old Thread, but I want to update it:

I run a 17x9 255 square track set-up on my 135i with ST XTA Coilovers and the Hotchkiss Sport Sways from Bimmerworld. I normally run Nitto NT01's and then a 225/255 set-up on the Firehawks on the street. Car has a track alignment of -2.8 camber front, maxed camber in rear (factory parts), and it lowered a little bit with 3/4" wedge.

A last minute track day came up at NJMP and I could only run part of the day, so I decided to just go and drive the Firehawks for comparison. 6 days later I was back with my NT01's. Here goes.

The Firehawks were pretty decent, especially for a cheap tire. They provided good grip for the first few laps and were very communicative by their audible noise under duress. Because they have so much LESS grip, I was always searching for a better line and Track Addict recorded 1.1g and above in most corners. This was really solid and very surprising. I didn't notice excessive wheel spin coming out of the corners, but the front end did push A LOT more than with my square set-up.

The camber definitely helped the tiny fronts and I ran my fastest lap of the day (1:42) with 34PSI hit. Tires barely look different than when I arrived, minus a small amount of shoulder rounding from the 4 sessions I did.

6 days later I was out on the same track again, it was a little warmer, and I did absolutely nothing to the car. I was able to run my personal best 1:38.5. Both days were with the Turn 3 chicane, then on the second day we ran the afternoon without where I found a 1.34.509 best time. So, there is like a 3-4 second a lap difference in the tires... but I don't think that's the full story.

The big problem with the e82 is front end grip. Those little 225's are just way undersized for the weight and speed of the car. I think running a square 255 set-up would have put me into the 1:40 range because confidence became an issue.

Would I call these track tires? No. Did they do a respectable job, yes! Surprisingly so. The track was also really slick Wednesday from torrential rain the night before, and although it dried, the track was very green.

I was running JB4 Map 2 and 5 (fastest lap was Map 5) with DCS on but TCS off on Wed on the Firehawks. My car is FBO with Wagner catted DP and Evo 2 Comp IC.

I came to this thread a while ago when my PSS RF wore out and I think the tires are an absolute NO-BRAINER for the money. You can even take them on the track, but mind your pressures and overheating them. You can learn a lot from a car with less grip, more so than one with excessive grip. Proven by setting my personal bests the following Monday on the NT01's (all day long).
Appreciate 3