05-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #73
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by msos View Post
... As for MPG.......not sure how the others are driving but my average according to the computer read out is now heading down from a peak of 20.2 to 19.7 and seems to be heading lower. Considering this is supposed to be a performance oriented car.........why are some so obsessed with MPG?
A well designed consumer performance car (not a track racer or an exotica) should be able to do both: return performance when needed, but also provide decent highway mileage (even Corvette does this). BMW has managed to do this fairly well in the past for the 3 series. And I suspect in the future with new CAFE regs, it will improve on all lines, too. In fact, this is one of the reasons I purchased a 135i, it has both performance and the ability to get decent highway mileage (well, assuming the driver is your grandmother ). I understand what you are saying about performance, but OTH, I don't want to be penalized when it's not "performing". FWIW, I'm averaging 22.6 mpg and have 1700+ miles, mixed city and highway.

pge
Appreciate 0