View Single Post
      09-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 EB M Coupe, '11 M Coupe

Both are fun rides. I prefer the 1M over the M3, but mainly because I enjoy 1ers a lot. Granted, if I didn't have an analog M coupe as a toy, I'd probably have given a longer pause in consideration of the E30 - but I'd probably still go with the e36/8.

Unlike all the hype rags that called the 1M an E30 M3 "throwback," I think they share little in common. What I do prefer on the M3 is the overall footprint, and fleet-footed steering control... Which goes hand in hand with the other aspect - fun, lightweight tossability.

That said, all things considered, I'd prolly still choose the 1. It fills a niche in my life that I don't feel would be satiated with the 4 banger.

But to further ad to the thread, a hypothetical scenario to answer -

If I had any compulsion of desire for some of the future cars on the horizon, or had no immediate need to jump into a higher priced car that's value is just over inflated by
"status points" or rarity, especially if I'd already owned my choices, I'd just wait and see what's around the corner.

I'm not really interested in owning one, but I'm sure the M2 will hold a bit of novelty, and joy, for many people. Barring that, I'd prolly jump into a used E39 M5 for a lot less money. Those cars are all too expensive for me to justify buying without some feeling of permanence of the ownership.
Appreciate 0