Thread: M school
View Single Post
      10-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I would like to do a HPDE but the BMWCCA has decided they know more than BMW about safety. You cannot drive convertibles in BMWCCA sponsored HPDEs unless you put in a roll bar. You can drive a 20 year old BMW that is falling apart but you cannot drive a 1 year old convertible. BMW says my windshield is reinforced to act as a roll bar but BMWCCA says this isn't good enough. The Porsche club lets modern convertibles participate but BMW's doesn't.

I can drive in BMWCCA sponsored autocrosses so I do that. It is also fun. I neglected to get somebody to ride the course with me during practice last year. I think I will do that this year. But otherwise you are on your own to figure it out. At the M school, you had lots of instruction.

The BMW track has elevation changes as was suggested in another post. If you drive it going the normal way there is a mini-leguna seca downhill turn. We hit that near redline in 2nd and shifted to third as we descended. At the bottom, you had to nail the brakes to get down to about a 30 mph turn. So from around 80 to 30 in a few feet. When I did the one autocross I have done so far on this track we ran it in the reverse direction and this was a uphill section. You have to think fast when you crest a hill and see a new section of the track.

Jim

Last edited by JimD; 10-03-2010 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0