04-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
r0nd3L
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommay248 View Post
Street plates for track use. The ones that are only with camber settings. Unless they sent it for the wrong springs. KW springs are 60mm and when I spoke with customer service when purchasing the plates they made sure it would fit the 60mm spring.
Really hope this issue can be resolved.
This is confusing. KW springs are stock diameter at the top, not 60mm, so you should be using OE style GC spring perch. Unless, of course, you are using non KW springs. I'm kind of leaning towards something not being assembled correctly or mismatched parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
What spring rates are you using?

On race camber plates the upper spring perch stays aligned with the strut axis, so the spring is not required to bend as the front wheel steers.

On the Ground Control Street plates the upper spring perch remains aligned with the strut tower, not with the strut axis. Therefore when you steer, the spring is forced to bend as the strut articulates during steering (which it does because of a combination of the camber angle, and the interesting geometry produced by the BMW's double lower ball joint design). A stiff race spring will not like doing this. Street style springs with a large upper diameter and a small lower diameter are more accommodating in this respect.

I am using the street plates with OE springs with no issues except that the urethane top does transmit quite a bit of tire noise to the chassis. I have no strange noises from the camber plates though.
On my previous car, I had similar style camber plates where the spherical bearing was used only for the strut shaft and spring was resting on the mount secured to the body. I had no noises using linear 60mm KW spring (same type as comes with Clubsport kit, GC, TCK, etc).

I'm glad you mentioned your street places do no transmit any noise other than tire noise. I have full GC kit being shipped out soon and I'm excited!
Appreciate 0