Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Completely agree that you upgraded vs stock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Yes, a lighter wheel will accellerate faster, but once at speed the weight of the wheel is of no consequence...as a matter of fact, the heavier wheel may even provide a smoother ride as it will have a greater mass and thus resist deflection that much more. In addition, a larger diameter wheel and tire (all else being equal) will also accellerate slower but definitely provide a smoother ride. Hence why all the serious Mtn bikers now ride 29ers instead of 26ers. Yes, they accelerate a bit slower, turn a bit slower, but they maintain momentum that much better, provide a smoother ride, and aren't as susceptable to slight terrain changes and deflection.
While that's true, all else equal, lighter unsprung mass lets you run softer springs and get equal contact patch control, which in turn allows you to run softer shocks (or shock settings)... which ride better. In next, of two properly set up cars, one with light wheels/tires, the other with heavy, the lighter setup car should ride better.

Mountain bikers bigger from bigger wheels because it gives them a larger rolling diameter so things that they hit have a smaller effect on the bike. Cars keep the same size rolling diameter as they change wheel sizes but upsizing and downsizing sidewalls.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0