View Single Post
      02-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

2011 Autocross Season- Event 2: Getting better every time.

Results speak for themselves. I was only D-stock driver for the day, so I have to compare using PAX.

Names obscured out of courtesy, but anyone marked as a national level driver can generally be found in the top few drivers at Tour events.

Surface: Asphalt parking lot. Reasonably flat. Lots of dust and sand.
Temperatures: lower 60's
Tires/wheels: Hoosier R6 take-offs, 245/35/18 square on Breyton GTS-Rs
Pressures: 39 front, 44 rear
Suspension: Bone stock
Alignment: Max negative in front, ~ -1 deg. in rear. ~0" toe all around.
Stability Control: Dead (see notes)

Observations:

R6s work fine on this car for local events. I received them with about 70% tread and have gotten about 30-runs out of them so far. Tire wear has been excellent. I will flip them before the next event and I expect to get another 30 runs out of them. Despite temperature, course conditions, etc R6 > street tire. Game, set, match.

Car is handling very neutrally with little tendency to much of anything except travel in the intended direction (good and bad). Attempts to rotate using the throttle results in a) the car pushing slightly or b) the rear tires spinning, but the car not actually rotating. Really odd behavior, but easy enough to control. Condition is probably not made any better by the fact that the brake-diff isn't working (again, see notes). I probably need more pressure in the front.

A couple of fast guys drove my car. All of our fastest times were withing a 10th of each other. General consensus was that the car is smooth and quiet to the point that it doesn't feel fast anymore, while at the same time praising the steering feel and feedback. I'd agree, the 135 is a no-drama machine when you are asking it to dance.

I think there was another 1/4 to 1/2 second left in the car. Definitely a sub-39 second.

Notes: I have a faulty steering angle sensor which causes DSC to be completely non-functional (including brake-diff when everything is off). Occasionally, when restarting the car, it will decide that every thing is OK and allow you to turn off DSC normally, and return the b-diff to service. It will then, inevitably, fail during the middle of your next run, causing hilarity.

Waiting for part to come in.
Appreciate 0