01-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
I hear in Germany if you want to have sex with your wife and you want to rock a rubber you need to visit the BMW shop so they can code the robber to your dong or you may have some problems!
Which ever worthless engineer thougth of this needs to be found tied to his bed and beaten with baseball bats untill he can no longer walk or lift a finger ever again!
I mean really....really really? Come on! Who thought of this and why has he not died yet?
Wow, maybe you should tell us how you really feel. hahaha. From the sounds of it instead of making an alternator smart enough to do the charging of the battery they removed that function from the Alt and placed it in the ECU which can contain more data points such as amperage of the battery, size maybe, nominal voltage, etc. if that is so then they should have placed that function on the turn stalk for us to program. Taking a bottle of water and saying that it is worth $100 doesnt make it worth any more than the original bottle of water that cost $1.00. Oh wait but if we add this super duper lever to it so that you have to have a shop open it for you at the cost of $99.00 then well there you go it is worth it right? I am afraid not. H2O is still H2O in any form.

So, i get that a smart charging system can prevent over charging the battery thus cut cost down in the short term but when it cost $500 to replace a $140 battery then that is a little excessive. Simply put there is no reason except for self preservation on BMW stand point.

While i cannot prove it i suspect that they added this feature so that no batteries would go bad before the service warranty runs out due to over charging or under charging etc. Let's say they prolonged the failure by another few months or even a year or so. That might get them off the hook for the cost of replacements and pass that buck to the people that buy the vehicles afterwards.

The only problem i see with that philosophy is that if every used vehicles battery fails within the first year at a cost of $500 ppl will stop buying the vehicles used. Afterall when you get mom or pop or joey down the street that knows nothing about vehicles and has not done any reasearch when the battery goes and they have to take out half their mortgage payment to replace it, they might be saying to themselves what if an engine goes out would that cost me $10K?

Oh wait, Joey yep it would after you pay for labor and coding yep it would.

ok i am dont ranting here but i am still looking for other opinions on the matter. Maybe this coding thing is just a money suck only who knows. lets see what others say.