04-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
1) Is it going to eat up my tires?
2) Do I really need to change the oil and break fluid before and after the event?
3) Is it bad for the car in any other way? (don't plan to do it a lot)
4) Is it worth the roughly $600 it's going to cost me for the 3 day event?
bmwcca hpde's are probably the best way to get started with road course driving. no one will push you to do anything more than what you're comfortable with. safety is emphasized, and running your car in the beginner group is pretty darn safe.

i would guess the realistic weekend cost is more like $1000. if you drive the car as God intends you to, you'll use up a set of tires in 6-8 track days, same with the brake pads. your average mpg will be 10-12, so figure at least $100 worth of gas.

plus, you have to have a pre-event inspection, and i would change the break-in oil before hand. your brake fluid should be fine, since the car is quite new.

i think that if you maintain your car well, track driving is not "bad" for a car, but wear and tear is obviously higher than driving around your neighborhood.

is it worth it? the first time i went (with bmwcca, natch), i wasn't even sure if it was fun or not-- so much information to process, trying to learn the course plus driving techniques plus watching mirrors, etc. however, once you start putting it together, and lay down a couple of laps that feel good and fast, there is really nothing like it.

certainly, track driving is safer than many adventurous activities, such as sky diving, rock climbing, kayaking, hiking, surfing, where people die every year.

i think that anyone who enjoys taking an on or offramp a little faster than they are supposed to should do this at least once or twice. take your car stock- learn more that way.:thumbup:
Appreciate 0