View Single Post
      01-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
rca06Mcoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe Imola/Imola

Quote..
"As good as it is, however, the N54 is not a true M engine, and it lacks the characteristic edge of the naturally aspirated motors found in the M3 or M5, which will always have keener response than their forced induction equivalents. The bottom line is that N54 feels like a tuned 135i motor which is exactly, what it is."

"than their forced induction equivalents" --Is he comparing the N54 to the 414hp M3 or 500hp M5? That does not seem fair. A fairer comparison would be a comparison to the Z4 M Coupe.

I could not find the basis for this downer of a conclusion from the article....he really did not criticize the engine in the text of the article. Then he implies it does not have "a keen edge" which is not the feedback we got from other test drivers who have said there is no noticeable turbo lag.

I'm still holding out for news from M Division that they had alot of imput into the N54 development.

Also, I'm looking forward to driving the 1M myself, having driven the E46 M3 and Z4 M Coupe every day for the last 10 years.

Last edited by rca06Mcoupe; 01-01-2011 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: set off quote from my comment
Appreciate 0