11-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kerry View Post
So you think the 285's will work with a spacer?

Ok.. Sorry for the delay on this... Still waiting for Terry to let me know when to show up for measurements on the camber plates.. I will ping him again..In the meantime.. went to my friend Ken O's house this past weekend with my BONE stock 1M. No camber plates..no suspension.. bone stock! We decided to test fit wheels and tires on my car... He has several sets of wheels.. All wheels are 18 x 10 APEX ARC-8. We test fit and dropped the car down..sorry... no rolling around... no driving..

First off.. we decided to go big.

285/30/18 Hoosier A6

the good.. Rear fits easy.. 305s anyone? Maybe even bigger on an 11" wheel if one wants to go crazy.. Front seems to fit fine with respect to the fender.. the tire does stick out 1" further than the body work. there appeared to be no issues contact with the spring/perch.

the bad... The front tire rubbed.. ever so slightly on the inside front wheel well as the wheel was turned towards full lock - The part of the innerwheelhouse that rubs is in the front bumper, right wherre there is a radiator/cooler...

left side..

right side..

the ugly.. - Dunno.. Oddly.. the panel where this radiator/cooler is in the wheelhouse is in a spot that seems to move naturally. Slight pressure on the panel allows it to move in away fom the tire. While the movement inward from the tire was minimal at rest.. this could ugly at speed at full lock.. Especially if one were attemping to autocross. Could one possibly use 5-10 mm spacers and have success? yes.. but the 285/18 tire on a 10" wheel is already outside the front fenders.. so would only look more odd in that regard.

they stick out a lot though...

rear

clearly one can go WAYYY wider in the rear..

Next up.. we went with a Street tire.
Hankook Ventus RS3 275/35/18
The Hankook is a very rounded street tire. In many ways it actually fit WORSE than the 285/30 Hoosiers.

-the good.. - well.. none.
-the bad... - this tire has shoulders on it due to it's being so round, and there was much less room at the spring perch... could poss rub... And turning the wheel..DEFINITE contact was made with the front inner fender wheelhouse with the the cooler in it.
-The ugly - Don't go there with this tire.. Or very likely you will cause damage to inner wheelhouse parts

275/35/18 Hoosier
While a set of these was mounted and available.. I feel confident that these should fit. Maybe not 100$ confidence.. but enough that this weekend we will go ahead and bolt a set of these on the car and see how they do at an autocross. If they do ok this weekend.. then I will pick up some Continental Tire/Grand Am cup takeoffs for DE use.

The rim width appears to play a clear factor in whether or not there is contact between the tire and the front inner wheelhouse. For those that want to maintain a staggerred setup.. 18 x 9.5 front and 18x 10.5 rear is the easy way to go to avoid issues. more tire on a 1/2" wider wheel. I personally am hoping to be able to rotate tires, as well as utilize several wheels of the same size.. so I am going to push forward with seeing what fits on 18x10 all around.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 11-21-2011 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: photos added 11/21
Appreciate 0