Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Nick's adventures in "Intercooling"

So..........I had purchased a ETS 7" intercooler on E90post from one of the guys there. Nice and heavy looking thing and definetly an upgrade to the "intercooler" that we have in our cars. I decided to install it yesterday at the craft shop on Graf and said to myself "this should be easy".

Yeah right!!!!! Easy was the removal of the front bumper......and the stock intercooler......and stock piping. But ran into a slight issue. In order to fit this intercooler I had to do some trimming. So I searched and searched and most everyone I spoke to told me to do like the HPF video. Surprisingly though, I had to go from this.....

To this

Install took me about 2-2.5 hours since I decided to take my time but can be done in about 2 hours or less. The rear sits sort of flush with the fan shroud but the right tab barely touches the shroud. No issues though. It appears that this intercooler sits about 1/4 inch lower than the stock one and is about an inch taller than the stock IC. It also sits 3 inches forward than the stock one, hence the hacking of the lower trim.

Overall impressions as I plan to do some logs to see the difference in IAT is that air is coming in much cooler than before and the car seems stronger, specially between 3000-6000 rpms. Once I do the logs (JB4) I will post some before IC swap temps and new temps. LMK if you have any questions.

Oh yeah....last part, the mesh screen goes on tomorrow. Thanks you bird....
Nick