View Single Post
      01-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #88
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4GTS

Form follows function. IMHO, the size of the rear integrated spoiler when seen in real life is just perfect, especially when viewing in conjunction with a front lip, perfectly balanced.
Apparently, the 1m is a bit quirky at high speeds due to some rear lift. Like most track cars the solution is to add more downforce utilizing an airfoil. However, aesthetically, an extended front splitter seemed necessary to balance the additional rear extension. While a front splitter can create unwanted downforce itself, it is a crossflow design, therefore the hope is that it would be minimal. The new profile of the vehicle seems at least to me to be a bit more edgy, and gives the car much more presence, like the original M3. (I already know, the next critic is going to say "sir, your car is no original m3"). I am just explaining my opinion.
In fact, BMW, when originally releasing their intent on the revised 1 series, provided the following direct quote:
"The greenhouse with its characteristic "Hofmeister kink" is moved rearward and offers a particularly nimble look with its long hood. The short overhangs, long wheelbase and large frameless doors sit on a body with a striking shoulder line for a modern interpretation of BMW's characteristic look."
I believe my car represents a concept true to what BMW was trying to address for the critics of the 1 series which was the "chopped" look of the rear end.

Last edited by Robcut1; 01-08-2012 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0