View Single Post
      06-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Maybe more than you want to spend, but here's a post that lists parts to retrofit the Performance 2nd radiator.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1273&highlight
I mean, it's not that I won't spend the money. But I am just looking for all the little ins and outs that most people don't look for/find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Very interesting project. I've been taking the traditional route to improve cooling by installing the PPK2 radiator/850w fan and the ER sport oil cooler. Oil temps have improved about 15 degrees but can still rise pretty quickly when driving hard. The last time I was under the hood, I noticed that there may be room to add ventilation to the back of the engine bay by drilling out some of the plastic on the back tray that the cabin filter bolts on. The rear hood seal slips onto a vertical support on the tray which is about 1-2 inches high. Seems like you could drill some ventilation holes in the vertical support with a small hole saw to let some of the heat pass under the seal. Probably not as good as raising the hood, but just a thought. Another crazy thought I've been have is... running cooling ducts to the turbos. Not sure if this would do much but I understand the failure rate of the rear turbo is significantly higher because of the lack of cooling.
Hmm, I'm going to take a look under there and see. Maybe there is a solution to some ducting to the turbos. The turbos no doubt are probably the largest cause of oil temps skyrocketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
the cabin filter housing is still there, but i took out all the covers over the dme box (already waterproof) and the master cylinder, etc...

I just stacked some washers between the hood and the mounting bracket, i needed longer bolts though. it only takes a few minutes, the longest part is getting gaps on the side right.

Even with my oil thermostat popped out, i haven't noticed any noticeably longer warm-up times.

I also run my JB4 on maxcool mode. Not sure how this will affect the lifespan of the water pump, and the fan noise is a bit annoying (no more so that my flywheel chatter), I rarely get above 230-240* when 250 used to be the norm.
I am definitely going to do the hood, this weekend hopefully. I actually run w/ the covers you are referring to off out of sheer laziness from the JB4 install lol. Is there a difference between max cool mode and popping out the thermostat? I assumed that the maxcool mode ran everything at 100% immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
You're not kidding about being "red hot". Just installed a P3gauge which among other things lets you see the real time exhaust gas temps. On a single WOT run from 20 to 145 the EGT reach 1522F. It dropped pretty quick after the run and stayed around 1050F after a mile at 80mph. After 2 minutes of idling it fell below 700F. I don't think the EGTs are exactly the same as the turbos' sustained temps, but it goes to show you what kind of abuse they experience. And while some people will point out that the water pump continues to run and cool the turbos after you shut down, I agree it is best to let the engine idle for a minute or two before turning the car off.
Yeah, this is what makes me want to wrap my exhaust. Wrapping can lead to moisture being trapped, but it's worth it to me.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0