View Single Post
      07-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Also, what is the oil you use? I found that 0W-40 oil (among the factory suggested grades) runs cooler than 5W-30 which most if not all 1Ms left the factory with. The 0W-40 grade oil also warms up to normal operating temperature a bit faster so overall I find it better suiting the 1M or any turbo car with high performance.

Of course, you better find a fully synthetic and BMW approved oil (LL1-LL4), like the Mobil 1 0W-40 or its Castrol equivalent etc. to have a peace of mind on your choice of oil.

I don't track (yet) but like previous poster CarJunkie max I got the oil temps of my car after extended aggressive, high speed (200 to 270 km/h top speeds) high rpm and frequent on/off throttle driving on roads, was around 125-130 C. At that type of slightly irrational driving I was feeling the brakes are getting boiled up first but not the oil/engine. Normally 110 C is the max I get in law-friendly driving.

You also didn't make clear if your car has a engine tune or not. You would better have an additional oil cooler in that case.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0