11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
IMHO the poll misses "Optional rear windows privacy glass only" as a third option. As I assume you referred to tinting front windows too, I voted "No tint".

Most car windows are stock already slightly tinted (UV-ray blocking), but still transparent enough, compliant with legal maximum levels applicable in the country of distribution/sale.

Tinting front windows and windscreen is illegal in my country. The cops can pull you over, fine you and require you to remove the foil/film on the spot. If removal is impossible (coating instead of foil/film) you can be required to change your windows to stock. Also you will not pass car control. For an example in the US: http://www.realpolice.net/ask-a-cop/?p=10. So, eventually consider spending your money on a pair of quality sun glasses.

Furthermore, on a practical level, tinting all windows can affect proper remote control functioning due to worsened detection issues (key fob, comfort access, remote control devices for opening gates and carports, etc.): check the archives for stories of issues with remote control and comfort access after a tint (for example: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673122 - apparently metal based films seem to affect comfort access performance more than carbon based films). A tint does not only partially block sunshine and heat, but can also partially impede remote control rays.

Partially OT: re eventual heat absorption differences between AW, BSM and VO (not really, actually): http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682031.

I second that.

For sunshine issues, BMW offered the following options for the 1M over here (apart from climate control):
  • 1M option 3AP = grey sunblock strip in the windscreen (€90 in Germany) (Graukeil-Frontscheibe)
  • 1M option 420 = privacy glass for all three rear windows (€350 in Germany) (Sonnenschutzverglasung)
Got these on my VO too and no regrets at all. Well on the contrary:
  • contributes a little to limiting interior heat and sunshine;
  • limits to some extent direct sunshine hassling children in the rear;
  • helps children falling asleep at night on well-lit roads and highways;
  • contributes the rear view mirror with automatic anti-glare function (options 430/431) to limiting light of traffic behind you and road lights;
  • limits preying eyes from checking out stuff in the rear;
  • limits drivers behind you from checking your rear view mirror (and whether you're discreetly checking them out, especially when you wear your shades).
In my book privacy glass for the rear windows is not looking kinda daft. The alternative is pictured below (and the "that's a public embarassment for the 1M" argument will not sway enthusiastic children and concerned mothers).

Attachment 778741
Says it all about the Privacy Glass
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0