04-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #25
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Im curious as to what gains if any you can actually see with this unit over stock? I mean from the looks of it the piece is actually not as wide as the stock unit and only a little bit taller, just about the same depth so I cant imagine much of an increase in flow or efficiency. Also, I cant see silicon tubing with clamps being any more free of leaks than the stock setup tbh..

Not really slamming the product, just the OP makes the stock unit out to be such shit when really compared to many other FI cars, this unit is not that bad, nor is it that terribly restrictive.

I am planning on a FMIC upgrade soon myself for obvious reasons of lowering engine temps, but Im def going with HPF's IC, MUCH larger core, way better efficiency and smooth insides along with stock connections. I wouldnt mind seeing some real numbers from this FMIC thou, the link earlier in the thread no longer exists so..

P.S. On ETS's site they list the FMIC kit as coming with a chargepipe which is def false, the silicon tubing it comes with is just the lower pipe portion that connects to the chargepipe up top.

** You can see the lower charge pipe is included, which removes the restrictive factory unit.

Here is a link to the data.

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/B...duct_info.html

----

The stock intercooler may look like it's 5.0" thick, but it's actually a dual pass core if you take the end tanks off. The core is also tube and fin which has a header width of 5.0", the actually flow area is less then 3.0" of total area on the ID. You can take the stock end tanks off and look your self if you like. We use a bar and plate core which allows for 4.8" of full internal flow. Plus we have a much higher density on our fin pack then the competitors. You can see where most competitors only have 7 charge rows in a larger area, we have 10 w/ 5.5" of height. This allows us to loosen up the internal fin pack for less pressure drop and have more heat transfer plates.

Check out the link I posted above showing the difference in data. The results are on our older core, the new core flows more and transfer heat more efficiently.

This is with the Procede v5 auto tuning and the only thing changed was the intercooler from the stock unit.

Another huge difference is the inlet and outlet size.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Michael
Appreciate 0