View Single Post
      06-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #59
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

well said. it's not an either/or. the reason why there's controversy over the 1m/m3/cayman is because they're all great at what they do. i'd love the cayman if there were no winter here and potholes didn't riddle the streets. i'd love an m3 if i were looking for a bigger car.

it's far too narrow-minded to make these arguments about how any of these cars are not great simply because of one factor. they are what they are. the m3 is big. the cayman isn't as quick. but, who cares? they're all greats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
I've got both on order (1M should be in my hands by month end, Cayman R by August). Think these 2 are the hottest compact performance cars this year and you really can't lose either way.

Being based in Hong Kong as well, I also know many people who can afford both at the same time but choose one way or another. Many own or have owned an M3 (me included) but don't feel the need to belittle one or the other to justify the purchase. I choose to take the view we're all car enthusiasts and should be glad our favorite car companies are still creating gems like these amid their more normal offerings.

P.S. Have a friend who's moving from a manual Cayman S to the 1M cause it harkens back to the old school E30. Alot of my friends are enthusiastic about the 1M and they are Porsche Turbo/GT3/RS owners. I personally sold my 997 GT3 and will replace it with a Cayman R (PDK) because I wanted something more suitable for day-to-day driving. GT3 was phenomenal, but with only 10 track days a year out of 365 days, it made more sense for me to get a car that replicates the feel somewhat yet is a whole lot more driveable on a daily basis in a small city like Hong Kong.

In short, the reason we are in these forums and debating is because we are all enthusiasts at heart. No need to demean one car or another. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Appreciate 0