View Single Post
      08-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

BMW wasnt really on my buyers list till the N54 came out. I always did admire the I6 engines of the past, specifically the M3 ones. Im sure there are many who share my opinion. The E46 S54 engine is a masterpiece of N/A power and an icon in the engine makers game. An all out engine made for killer top end and made for the track. Putting it into street cars made many a driver very happy. Its a far cry from the N52 one though. Apples/oranges trying to compare the two.
N52 isnt a top end machine and doesnt come near the output of the M3 plant. Thats the one they're refering to getting beat by others V6's. The S54 engines downfall was economy. Its expensive to make and the mileage hurts BMW's new 'efficient dynamics' program as well as CAFE regs.
I also think BMW realized its mistake by going with the V8 in the latest M3. Good power but poor mileage hurts it. A 4.0L V8 thats gets hit with a gas guzzler tax also doesnt fit 'efficient dynamics'. F/I I6 will be in the M3. The I6 will live on but with turbo power. More hp/tq, less weight, better fuel economy. Win,win, win!
I will still stop what Im doing to hear a S54 spin up to full power though. Those are the iconic N/A I6's and the ones that will be rememberd. IMO.
Appreciate 0