First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Quite true Sir.
"Heel/toe" isn't necessarily literal.

As fun and challenging as this can be, I LOVE Nissans "syncro rev", or what ever they call it, in the 370Z. It's perfect. Yes, it removes the need for the driver to do "heel/toe" perfectly, but the system executes the rev match perfectly. It's quite nice. You can turn it off if you really want to practice the organic "proper" heel/toe. But, if my 135i had it I don't think I would turn it off.
I know, I know, next I'll be saying I want DCT in my next car.
Uh.....actually, I do.
Heel-toe is not just to sound good. There are 2 key reasons why you do it:
  1. To make the lower gear easier to engage (so really it's more of a heel-toe+double clutch);
  2. Reduce the chance of rear tyres loosing traction due to compression braking.

I've never experienced the Nissan system but I'm guessing that it is more for the sound of it as well as reason 2 above - which is why it would make sense to switch it off if you wanted to change down properly without putting undue stress on the syncros.

The DCT definitely only does the blip for the second reason above as it pre-engages a lower gear before you even flick the paddle (or stick) hence reason 1 doesn't get a look in.